About the Layer Fox
The Layer Fox is at the centre of the rural village of Layer de la Haye south of Colchester. Over 300 years old, it re-opened under new management in the summer of 2015 having been completely refurbished throughout. This restored and revealed the attractive old beams and oak flooring. There are three main areas: the comfortable dining room, an attractive bar with a large fireplace (and wood-burning stove in the winter) plus a cosy snug with books and free national newspapers available.
There are two terraces - one at the front and the other to the rear and so on fine days there is always a seat in the sun. The four comfortable en suite bedrooms are in a quiet, separate building.
The parking area at the rear of the building can accommodate up to 20 cars.
Layer de la Haye is a rural village of around 2,000 people which dates back at least to Saxon times. The attractive 14th century church is worth a visit. The village is next to the renowned Abberton reservoir, one of the top inland bird-watching sites in Britain. It is also less than five miles from the sea and from the historic Roman town of Colchester with its ancient castle. Other tourist attractions nearby include Layer Marney Tower, the tallest Tudor gatehouse in England.
- Bicycle friendly;the Fox is just off National Cycle Network Route 1 (which runs from Dover to the Shetlands) and at the junction of smaller touring routes. There are secure bicycle racks.
- Bird-watcher friendly;ideally placed for the nearby Abberton Reservoir bird sanctuary, one of the most important sites in Britain for wildfowl with an informative visitor centre.
- Dog-friendly; well-behaved pooches are welcome in the bar area.
- Child-friendly; a popular children’s’ menu, high chairs, colouring books, playing cards and dominos, plus baby changing facilities.
- Drinker-friendly; guest beers are rotated regularly.
- Meeting friendly; We serve coffee, tea and home-made cake all day. £3.50 for a slice of cake, coffee or a pot of tea or £1.75 for a slice of cake.
- Wedding friendly; a perfect place to stay for guests attending weddings locally.